Saturday, March 28, 2009

Thunder comforts

It's been 2 semesters but I'm still not comfortable "documenting" students for drinking in the residence halls. It's uncomfortable for everyone involved. There are many people that I should have documented in the past but haven't, especially my own residents. It's hard to get your friends in trouble. But they don't really listen to friendly requests. "Please stop drinking? Please?" It just doesn't do the trick. Sometimes the most loving thing to do is to let someone experience the consequences of their actions.

I'm sure I could apply this to God somehow. It seems that for the most part I don't receive any of the consequences for sin that I deserve. But I know that God isn't thinking to himself "If I punish Abbie, she'll love me less. So I'll just let her do it her own way." That is not love.

So many questions. Why is getting drunk wrong? Why is the drinking age 21? How can I reach out to someone who I am punishing? What good does it do to tell a resident "please don't drink in the dorms" but then to say nothing about the fact that they're on their way to a frat party?

When I walked back into my room after writing up the incident, I heard the rain falling and thunder rolling through. I felt immediately comforted at the sound. There's something so amazing about thunder and lightning; visual and aural evidence of power beyond my reach and outside of my control. Kyrie Eleison.

1 comment:

Hello said...

this is exactly how I feel sometime.

Confronting someone requires so much love.