Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A 3 part compilation of thoughts and photos: the Florida Wedding edition. Batteries not included.

What a wedding. My first brother to get married. If I’m not mistaken, my family hasn’t vacationed together since my freshman year of high school when we used to go up North together. This wedding may not have been a typical vacation (it was quite busy), but it was so good to be together with my family, and for all of us to be momentarily removed from our ordinary stresses and tasks.

1. A new family

I’ve always thought about what it will be like to become part of another family someday when I get married, but I never really thought that I would be united with the families of my brothers’ spouses. This wedding/marriage has changed my mind about that. There were apprehensions of course. Coming from different parts of the U.S., different cultural histories, and just... being the Stauffers, how would we be received? All I can say is that we were received with open arms. I have a whole new set of brothers, grandparents, friends, and MY FIRST SISTER! I think it really hit when Tereva’s Grandma said “I have a beautiful family!” and we realized she was talking about us. It’s hard to believe that I was with them for less than 24 hours. I guess I'll just have to take a trip to Miami :D


2. Travel Companions

I love traveling with my papa. I respect him so much. It amazes me to see how much a person can change, even long after college. It’s very encouraging. Traveling with Daddy and Joan brought about many deep conversations, spirtually, intelectually, story telling, etc. I learned so much just from listening. I was also humbled by the way my dad is willing to change and learn- even to learn from his own children. And when Joanie and I were crazy, singing or dancing or making a scene, he wasn’t embarrassed. He either smiled and watched or joined in.


3. Synergy
I really appreciated the synergy between Theresa, Joanie and I. It was great being with them and getting dressed up every day. I observed that rather than feeling insecure because of how stunning they looked, I felt beautiful by association. It was great to just be so relaxed and comfortable together that we’d be wrestling one moment, and all of us asleep the next. Whether we were making a big ruckus together or praying together during car rides, I always felt restored when I was around them, and as my dear friend Ruth Gao says, they made it “easier to be me.”

2 comments:

Brian H said...

sounds like a great trip! I particularly appreciated what you said about your dad... that's what I want to be like at his age. =)

Matt said...

This is very neat. :) I'm sad to have missed out on all of the time with all of you guys, esp. learning from daddyo.. but boy was it great having you all here, and having our families get along so well. That is a wonderful thing. :) I love you kiddo.