Saturday, January 3, 2009

The virtue lies in the struggle, not the prize

I went snowboarding today for the first time. My knees and tush are swollen and my arms are sore from picking myself up so many times- It was an excellent experience.
The first hour left me exhausted and very frustrated. I felt that I had made no progress despite extensive efforts and help from my eldest brother. At lunch I decided to grab a fortune cookie with my overpriced chicken tenders, and within I found the lovely quote (the namesake for this post) by Richard Monckton Milnes:

"The virtue lies in the struggle, not the prize."

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain what that means, nor how often it is relevant. But for today it meant hitting the slopes once more and falling, perhaps not with dignity, but with determination. Again and again. Many thanks to Gabriel Pak for the snowboard lessons, and to Jsa for being a co-conspirator in looking like fools. Can't wait to show off my awesome hand-bruise from our collision.

By the end I was able (though not willing) to make it down the hill without falling, and though I haven't mastered all the ins and outs of snowboarding I seem to have a pretty good 360 down :)

Does anyone have Bengay for me? Ibuprofen? a massage?