Saturday, January 3, 2009

Oh me of little faith

I know, I just made a post. Here's another.

Anticipating the return to campus (tomorrow for me) makes me feel a little anxious. There are many things that I'm looking forward to. Yet I get that feeling in my stomach, and these doubts and fears in my mind... not all of me is looking forward to returning.

I've been reading through Matthew, and I find it really interesting all the places that Jesus says "Oh you of little faith."

* Matthew 6:30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

* Matthew 8:25-26 The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

* Matthew 14:30-31 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

* Matthew 16:8-9 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, "You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread? Do you still not understand? Don't you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered?

It seems that whenever God says "Oh you of little faith" it is because someone has doubted his provision; whether there will be enough food to eat, whether God will deliver from danger, whether God is strong enough or whether he cares enough.

That's how I feel right now. And I know what God is saying to me. "Oh you of little faith!" Not as a rebuke. It is God's way of saying - I WILL CARE FOR YOU!!! I will not let you fall! (or sink, in Peter's case).

Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief. [Mark 9:24]