Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Frozen North

A flight of Harvesters just left the Dude
like a flock of geese
honking their affection and frustration
packing their bags and flapping their wings
a scurry of feathers and emotions,
and the ever constant promise,

"I'll see you tomorrow."

My heart is in a heap
on the floor
My mind is dancing restlessly
as if to say
"I have to pee"
Or some other anxious expression
of anticipation and the inability
to wait a minute longer.

I strain my eyes
to see the end,
which would be in sight
if it weren't so dark outside.

How good it is to be known
to be understood
to be desired, or at least desirable.
How good it is to know
there are more important things
than these deadlines,
and that life will go on
even if we never meet our goals.

Sweet sweet sleep
sweet sweet memories
swiftly fleeting moments,
l o n g d r a g g i n g h o u r s

I PROMISE NOT TO REGRET

as long as you promise
not to forget.