Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A double portion

This evening I found myself beside a familiar face. My red-bearded friend has been homeless for about a year now, and his job searching is not yielding much success in our glorious Michigan economy.

We chatted for a bit, but I am also learning how to enjoy silence. He's a quiet guy for the most part. The great thing about silence is that it allows even the quiet people a chance to speak what's on their mind. My friend had dinner on the mind. it was already 9:30 and I am sure that he must have been hungry, as he had missed his only opportunity for what he called "a meal hardly worth eating." I may think to myself that he shouldn't be picky- it's a free meal! But then I've never had to live that life. I am absolutely certain that I would complain.

I knew that he mentioned dinner for a reason, but I was not feeling very generous. In fact, I was thinking, "I don't go out to eat, why should I take him out?" But this is a half truth. I DO go out to eat. I just try not to. And though my money has only been going out of my pocket this summer, I am about to begin work again, my unlimited meal plan has begun and I have more work opportunities than one person could possibly take.

Grudgingly, I handed him five dollars. I thought about praying for him or something, but it seemed completely unnecessary. We hugged and went our separate ways. I was consoled as I recalled the verse:

"Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?'" (James 2:16)

But the consolation had only begun. An hour later, I received this email:

Dear Abigail:

You have been selected for a brief online survey about college student mental health. We have sent a letter to your campus address with $10 and information about how to participate. The letter should arrive shortly, and we will also send a separate email in a couple days.

Please note that the online survey is formatted for the computer but not a handheld device, so we recommend using a computer. Participation is completely voluntary and confidential. As noted above, you will receive more information shortly. Your perspective as a RA would be very valuable. Thank you for considering this!


-Daniel

Thank you God for accepting my grudging offering, and for giving me a double portion.

4 comments:

ny said...

ptl. this is great to hear.

Matt said...

:)

tiff pan said...

wow.i'm so glad you gave that 5 bucks even if you were unwilling. dude God is amazing.

Daisy said...

Barbie Cakes Online
Send Gifts Online
Birthday Gifts Online